You just bought a new bedding set but when you look at it, something seems to be missing. You can see that factory-looking bed frame seems to take away from the style of your new bedding.
Enter the Dust Ruffle.
What is a Dust Ruffle?
Dust ruffles are also known as bed skirts or valances that cover the space between the box spring and the floor. Although they aren't a necessary piece to your bedding or linens, they do serve a purpose other than just looking nice and fashionable.
Different Types of Dust Ruffles
Dust ruffles come in a variety of styles like ruffled, which is ideal for a more feminine look, or crisply pleated for the final touch to your comforter. They're also made rather straight with a slight wave if you don't want a ruffled look or something too plain.
These bed skirts are also made to fit your bed in two different ways and sometimes come included with more high-end bedding or complete comforter sets.
Covering the Box Spring
When you open your new bedding package, you may see a piece that's flat and thin with ruffled, pleated or straight edging around three sides. This is your bed skirt.
You spread the piece over your box spring with the plain edge to the head of the bed making sure the skirted parts fall down around the sides of your bed nearly to the floor but not touching it. Normally, there is no skirt for the head part of the bed since most times the bed would be positioned against the wall.
Although the most widely used, this type of bed skirt has the disadvantage of having to lift your mattress up far enough to pull the skirt off of it for cleaning.
Skirt Pinned to the Edge of the Box Spring
If you open your package and see a long ruffled piece, that's your bed skirt or dust ruffle and may include the pins to attach the skirt to your box spring. This type of bed skirt is easier to maintain since you can simply unpin it to remove and launder it.
Customizing or Personalizing Your Dust Ruffle
You don't have to use the bed skirt that comes with your bedding. You may in fact have bought a bedding set that didn't come with one. Dust ruffles or bed skirts are also sold separately so you can mix and match them to your bedding.
If you're handy and creative, you can also make your own bed skirt in a natural color to go with all of your bedding sets. This alleviates any hassles of changing the skirt each time you change your bedding. You only need to remove it for cleaning.
What Are Dust Ruffles Useful For?
Along with adding a bit of style to the overall look of your room, dust ruffles also provide a useful service. You can use a bed skirt to:
- Hide the frame and legs of your bed structure. Unless you have some fancy frame with decorative legs, you may want to cover up or hide the frame.
- Keep dust and dirt at a minimum under your bed. While the skirt may not keep every little dust particle from accumulating, it will keep you from having tumbleweed size dust balls from piling up.
- Add some protection to the box spring since these aren't normally covered at all.
Do You Really Need a Dust Ruffle or Bed Skirt?
If your box spring is built into a stylish platform with storage drawers beneath then probably not. For example, a water bed doesn't come with a box spring so you wouldn't buy a dust ruffle for one. Those two styles of bed furniture wouldn't accommodate a bed skirt.
For standard bed frames on legs, although they're not a necessity for any bed, they do provide a useful function in addition to adding a finishing touch to the whole bedding ensemble.
Best Selling Dust Ruffles
- TOP QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Complete the look of your bedroom with our 1800 Series Platinum Collection Bed Skirt. Constructed from high quality 100% imported Luxury Micro Fiber material and double Brushed for Extra Softness! Wrinkle & Fade Resistant, Hypo-Allergenic, Repels Dust Mites, Environmentally Friendly!
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: Our bedskirts are the perfect finishing touch to complete the look of your bedroom. The pleated corners create a sophisticated and clean look to any bed. Featuring a 14inch drop perfect amount to hide your boxspring or any under the bed storage space you may utilize.
- PERFECT FIT: Our Queen bed skirt measures 60" x 80" with a 15" drop.
- STYLISH & PRACTICAL: The tailored drop effectively hides the bed frame, box frame or bed legs and keeps your bedroom looking neat and tidy. Enjoy being able to use the storage space under your bed without making the room look cluttered or messy. Each bed skirt is made with the same color microfiber throughout with no unsightly white base like other dust ruffles. Enjoy the luxury look without the cost.
- Queen/King Size: Suitable for Queen beds (60x 80in), King beds (76x 80in) and California King beds (72x 84in)
- Smooth microfiber polyester fabric, Fade Resistant, More durable than cotton
- Queen size bed skirt measuring 60 by 80 inches with a 16 inches drop, featuring quadruple pleating (2 at the front corners and 2 on the sides) for a crisp look
- 100% polyester, brushed microfiber fabric skirt is not only soft, comfortable and breathable but also gives a royal look to your bedroom
- Supple 100% polyester microfiber bed skirt
- Classic meets contemporary corner pleat detailing