As East and West blend in the 21st century, Asian influences are having positive effects on our everyday lives. From relaxation techniques to medicine to style, the benefits of this cultural mix are everywhere, but perhaps nowhere are they more apparent than in our newfound love and respect of bamboo.
You may think of bamboo as a product that's great for wood flooring, cutting boards, and panda snacks, but it can be used for so much more! One of the newest trends in bamboo is likely something you would never suspect — bamboo sheets and bedding.
Why Bamboo for Bed Sheets?
Good question! First off, bamboo sheets are undeniably luxurious and soft. In addition, bamboo is well known throughout the Asian world as an eco-friendly, renewable resource that has the ability to adapt to a variety of soil types, temperature ranges, and climates. Unlike other plants, bamboo is also resistant to pests, bacteria and fungi.
This means it can be grown and harvested without the use of harmful pesticides. If you consider that you spend an average of eight hours a night in direct contact with your bed sheets, the benefits of pesticide-free material quickly become clear.
Another primary advantage of bamboo sheets is that they are hypoallergenic. This means they can be used in any situation without allergy concerns.
Why Is Bamboo Bedding So Popular?
Along with its environmentally-friendly attributes and hypoallergenic qualities, bamboo has become increasingly popular for bed sheets and bedding because it can be turned into a fabric that has excellent moisture-wicking abilities.
This allows it to dry faster than more traditional bedding materials such as cotton. Bamboo is also highly breathable. The breathability of bamboo bed sheets means heat won't build up under the covers with you.
This makes bamboo an ideal choice for warm-climate regions and hot summer months in cooler climates. A cooler sleep allows you to be more comfortable and wake feeling more refreshed!
What You Should Consider When Purchasing Bamboo Bed Sheets
The factors you consider when deciding to purchase bamboo bedding are largely a matter of personal taste. Here are some of the things you should think about:
It's important to note that thread counts for bamboo sheets don't really compare to fabrics like Egyptian cotton. With bamboo, higher is not necessarily better. One of the most common thread counts available in bamboo bed sheets is 320, and this is ideal for softness.
Although bamboo fabric is very durable, how you clean and care for your bamboo bed sheets is important. Here are a few tips to help you keep your new bedding in excellent shape.
- Use cleaning products sparingly. A mild detergent is all that's needed.
- Be gentle. Don't put your new bamboo sheets in the washer on its most powerful cycle. The gentle or delicate cycle is recommended.
- Keep it cool. It is not necessary to use hot water when washing your sheets. Read the care instructions to see whether they recommend a warm or cold wash.
- Avoid harsh stain removers. If you need to remove stains, it's best to stick with a chlorine-free stain lifter and avoid bleach.
Weave is an important factor which can affect the way bamboo sheets feel. There are two common weaves.
- Sateen: A sateen weave is silky and soft, but it requires a bit more care effort.
- Twill: A twill weave is easier to care for, but that ease come at the sacrifice of some softness.
This may seem odd. After all, your new sheets are bamboo, but there are different types. Here's a quick breakdown:
- Bamboo Rayon (Viscose):
This is the most widespread material used in bamboo sheets today. Although it is widely available, there are some environmental impacts associated with production. Environmentally conscious consumers may prefer bamboo Lyocell.
- Bamboo Lyocell:
This product comes from an environmentally friendly production process and results in a fabric that is soft and stronger than bamboo rayon.
- Bamboo Cotton Blend:
This is a common blend and creates a fabric stronger than 100 percent bamboo. This increase in strength, however, comes at the cost of some softness.
- Bamboo Linen Fiber:
This product is not highly recommended. It tends to be less soft than other choices and wrinkle easily requiring more maintenance.
So Which Bamboo Bed Sheets Are The Best?
Now that you know some of the key factors to look for in bamboo sheets, let's take a look at some of the most popular ones on the market today.
Price Range: Inexpensive
This set offers everything you would want from bamboo bed sheets. They are affordable, stain and wrinkle resistant. They are hypoallergenic and come in 12 colors. One important note: these sheets are a blend of 40 percent bamboo rayon and 60 percent microfiber. If you want higher bamboo content these may not be the best for you.
Zen Bamboo Bed Sheets are available in sizes Twin XL through California King.
Not 100 percent bamboo
Price Range: Expensive
Cariloha bamboo sheets offer all the luxury of a tropical resort in the comfort of your own bedroom. They feature a smooth sateen finish and box-stitched seams for a blend of durability and softness. They are made of 100 percent bamboo viscose, and like all bamboo sheets, they are hypoallergenic.
Cariloha Resort bamboo sheets are available in sizes Queen, King, and California King.
100 percent bamboo viscose
Price Range: Expensive
Although these sheets have only been on the market since 2016, they are some you should take note of. They're incredibly soft and made from 100 percent bamboo rayon, so you know they're durable. They are available in three colors and are hypoallergenic.
Bamboo Supply Co. luxury bamboo sheets are available in sizes Double, Queen, King, and California King.
These bamboo bed sheets from Linenwalas feature a velvety smooth sateen finish with a beautiful sheen. They create a silky soft sleeping environment that will help you get a good night's rest. They're made from 100 percent organic bamboo fiber, so they're naturally hypoallergenic. They are offered in five colors including rose gold and mint.
Linenwalas luxury bamboo sheets are available in six sizes from Twin to California King.
Made from organic bamboo fiber
May pill if not properly washed
There are lots of things to consider when purchasing bamboo bed sheets, but rest assured the benefits out way the initial leg work. Bamboo sheets are softer than other fabrics and offer superior moisture absorption. They are also naturally antimicrobial and hypoallergenic. They have advanced cooling properties and will help you get the sound sleep you need.
Along with these benefits, you can feel good knowing that bamboo sheets are created from a sustainable, eco-friendly resource that causes minimal impact on the environment. Make the switch to bamboo sheets today, and rest easy!
If you don't want to take our word for it, here are the top 5 Best Selling Bamboo Sheets on Amazon currently:
Best-Selling Bamboo Sheets
- LIKE SLEEPING ON A CLOUD - Super soft and light. Once you have tried our bamboo sheets, you won't want to sleep on anything else. It is a blessing and a curse! A lot of our reviews are from repeat customers that leave a review when they come back to buy another set
- 100 PERCENT BAMBOO - Made out of 100% Viscose Derived from Bamboo, Other sheets that claim to be bamboo have more microfiber and cotton than actual bamboo. We use certified 144gsm 60x40 173x120 bamboo fibers which is the highest grade out of 6 grades
- DEEP COMFORT: Not only do these top quality bamboo bed sheets have deep pockets to fit even the tallest mattresses, they're softer, more resilient and more breathable than even the finest Egyptian cotton to bring you a luxurious night's sleep you can't achieve with sheet sets costing three times as much.
- PERFECT FIT: Our customers marvel that our bamboo fitted sheet can fit even the most outrageous pillow tops, substantial memory foam mattress toppers and traditional egg crates when other sheets are a constant struggle or simply can't fit at all. Once on the strong elastic all around the fitted sheet in our LuxClub Bamboo Bedding Collection keeps them in place giving you the perfect restful night's sleep.
- LUXURY & COMFORT - Slip into comfort! The Zen Bamboo Luxury 4-Piece 1500 Series Sheet Set is exactly what you need for a comfortable and relaxing night's sleep. Our sheet set is luxurious, stylish, and the softest sheets you'll ever own. And with an array of colors to choose from, there's something for everyone!
- HIGH QUALITY BRUSHED BAMBOO & MICROFIBER BLEND - Our sheets are crafted in the highest quality material, so you know they'll stand the test of time! Designed with excellence in mind, they're 40% rayon derived from bamboo and 60% brushed microfiber, making them incredibly plush and more durable than standard cotton sheets.
- CRAFTED FROM 100% ORGANIC PURE BAMBOO - our bamboo bed sheets are made of 100% bamboo viscose and are never blended with other fabrics or fibers, so you can snuggle up to wonderful softness every night.
- BREATHABLE AND WICKS AWAY MOISTURE - our bamboo bed sheets let body moisture and vapor escape, keeping you cool in warm weather and cozy during cooler months - perfect for those of you with sensitive skin. The breathability of the sheets also help them stay naturally resist odors and remain fresher for longer.
- OUTSTANDING! High Quality 60% Bamboo and 40% Microfiber Blend - Our unique fabric is one of the softest, most breathable, stretchable, and lightweight fabrics on the market. It stays cooler than cotton and carries thermal-regulating properties that balance your body's temperature as you sleep
- AMAZING! Guaranteed Perfect Fit to your king sized bed - Flat Sheet 105" x 102", Fitted 80" x 78" with deep pockets up to 16 inches and 2 Pillowcases 20" x 40"