Smells affect your brain in different ways and can sometimes mean the difference between a restful nights' sleep and a not-so-good nights sleep. In fact, smells influence our dreams. That's why so many people find lavender sleep and pillow sprays helpful in drifting off to sleep. Discover why it works and our favorites.
Does Lavender Really Help You Sleep?
Seventy one percent of Americans said they get a more comfortable night’s sleep on sheets with a fresh scent, according to the National Sleep Foundation’s 2011 Bedroom Poll. To accomplish that feel good smell, lavender is going to be your number one choice.
The observation that lavender helps you sleeps dates back to ancient folklore. Pillows were once filled with lavender flowers to help people fall asleep. It is said to slow the activity in the nervous system, allowing your brain to relax and also uplift those suffering from sleep disorders.
How Can You Use Lavender for Better Sleep?
Lavender comes in many forms that can be used together for optimum sleep. Fresh or dried lavender is always lovely and adds a nice touch to any room, however if you don't have a green thumb, here are some alternatives:
- Pillow sprays
- Aromatherapy oil
- Bath gels
A common way to use lavender for sleep purposes in in a spray form which can be applied directly to your pillowcase. Most sprays are made with 100% essential oils. Some have a distilled water base, leaving its uses open to more than just a pillow spray.
Our Top 3 Picks for Best Lavender Sprays
The Zum Mist comes in a 4 fl oz container. It is made from 100% pure essential oils. Zum Mists contain no chemical emulsifiers. So you can give it a shake and spray it on both your pillow or in your room before bedtime. Some even use it in their dresser drawers by giving their pajamas a spray an hour before bedtime. If the spray becomes too potent, remember you can always water it down by adding a few drops of water. That will give the same effect, but over a longer period of time.
This spray gives you a 2-in-1 deal because it combines the beautiful scent of lavender with the scent of chamomile. Combined together, you can tackle those racing thoughts you might have before bed or the lingering thoughts that keep you up at night. Spray this relaxing mist on your pillow before sleep and the chamomile will give the effect of a light sedative. Store on a cool, dark shelf so the product both lasts longer and keeps its scent in tact.
The Apple Aromatherapy Lavender Water Spray does more than just add scent to your pillow. It’s designed to be used as a face toner before bed too! Its simple and astringent formula can be used with Witch Hazel and Lavender Bergamot before bed for both your face, linens and pillow. Its base is naturally distilled water, so the smell is not too potent and will naturally neutralize bad odors. It creates a spa-like experience before bed, without having to leave the house.
5 Best-Selling Lavender Sprays on Amazon
- MOOD ENHANCEMENT: Immensely pleasant natural floral scent for uplifting spirits and invigorating the mind while aiding in creating a relaxing environment
- ODOR ELIMINATOR: Perfect as a toilet spray with a relaxing smell that will not only eliminate odors but keep your bathroom or bedroom feeling fresh too
- FRESH SCENT - Just like breathing in the sweet aroma of a freshly gathered bouquet of flowering lavender
- AUTHENTIC AROMATHERAPY EXPEREINCE - Aura Cacia's Relaxing Lavender will calm the senses, purify the body and balance the spirit.
- MADE with 100% PURE and NATURAL LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL, not just floral water like most linen sprays which is why our fragrance is unsurpassed.
- Spray on Pillows & Sheets to Relax Your Mind and Body for AN ALL NATURAL WAY TO FALL ASLEEP
- Each SMELLS BEGONE Home and Linen Spray contains 16 Ounces per bottle.
- Every SMELLS BEGONE Home and Linen Spray is proudly Made in USA, Non-Toxic and Recyclable.
- ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS - ZERO SYNTHETICS
- AMAZING SCENT - Enhance The Smell Of Any Room with the Beautiful Scent of Lavender.
Your nights sleep just got a little better! A lavender spray is a good starting point to a calmer and more rejuvenating nights sleep.