Returning home to your bed and soft pillow can feel like the most rewarding part of your day. Having a pillowcase that will both help you sleep more comfortably and wake having your hair looking smooth and refreshed is a simple, effective way to optimize your night sleep. A quality pillowcase can reduce bed-head and hair frizz while requiring very little effort on your part. If all of life were so simple!
These days there are many choices of beauty pillowcases which promise to help keep your hair tangle-free and smooth. However not all pillowcases are created equal. You want to find one with material that matches your hair and skin needs.
Which material will work best with my hair type?
Different materials actually work better with specific hair types. With the wide variety of pillowcases, we broke down the top four materials for both your skin and hair:
Cotton is a soft and versatile material traditionally used to make pillow sheets and bed linens. When choosing the perfect cotton pillow case, keep in mind that not all cotton is made the same.
Some cotton materials feel rougher than usual and could leave you with a rats nest in your hair in the morning. Others don’t require specific cleaning instructions, so often consumers wash them and put them straight in the dryer as opposed to air drying.
Cotton is an absorbent material so when you sleep, your pillowcase may actually be drying out both your skin and face. Cotton also encourages friction because it is naturally a bit rougher, so if you find yourself waking up with a dreaded nest in the back of your hair, that’s probably why.
If you still prefer cotton, look for a high thread count which reduces friction, keeping hair smoother and being softer on your skin as well.
Satin pillowcases are one of the best kept beauty secrets for your hair. Less expensive than silk but much smoother than cotton, satin pillowcases hit a soft spot of affordability and value. Satin has a very smooth texture and will reduce signs of fine lines that can often appear during a ‘rough’ nights sleep.
Choosing a silk fabric requires a little bit of testing on your end. Silk is prone to shrinkage, so make sure to choose a silk fabric that promises minimal shrinkage. Some people prefer silk pillowcases simply because there’s a little more room to spare in their pillowcase.
This actually makes for a more comfortable sleep. Many silk products out there can prevent bed head and maybe even let you retire your hair straightening brush! Remember not to break the bank though, silk can be expensive.
Not so new to the market is the addition of natural fibers to our beloved pillow cases. Bamboo pillow cases are becoming particularly trendy because often brands combine bamboo with essential oils to help lock in moisture while you sleep.
Our Top 7 Picks for Best Beauty Pillowcases
Drybar Slumber Party Silk Pillow Cases
These were designed to protect your hair after a blowout. This case is made with fine silk designed to prevent breakage. Please clean careful, as you would do with a silk shirt, use the hand-wash cycle and air dry.
The company also sells dry shampoo that you can actually apply before bed so your hair comes out looking even more lush. Their site details specific how-to videos so that you can wake up to more firm hair and less breakage.
Spasilk 100% Silk Pillowcase
The theory behind this pillowcase is that it won’t cause friction between your hair, so you wake up with smoother-feeling hair. It’s also hypoallergenic and made with breathable material. This brand gives you a variety of color options to choose from, so you can find one that matches your bedroom decor.
Alaska Bear Natural Silk Pillowcase
Alaska Bear is made with 100% mulberry silk making your skin feel super soft and smooth. It is made with breathable fibers that help support a healthy sleep -- and it’s all natural. It also keeps your hair feeling smooth in the morning. Each is handmade by 1 tailor, meaning each is crafted with smooth edges. To keep its firmness, make sure you hand dry this case versus machine washing.
Cariloha Bamboo Pillowcases
This pillowcase will immediately remind you of the Caribbean. It combines the love of the ocean with a clean and eco-friendly lifestyle. The brand began in 2007 and has grown to a merchandised and franchised retail store. The secret? Bamboo. Its bamboo texture is naturally pesticide-free and keeps you dry and cool. If your hair naturally does not retain moisture, this is the pillowcase for you.
Nufabrx Bamboo Pillowcase
The Nufabrx pillowcase is a bamboo pillowcase embedded with tea tree oil and lavender that release while you sleep. It functions as both a pillow case, and an all natural solution to prevent acne around your hairline. If your issue is less about avoiding bed head and instead about keeping your skin protected from oils in your hair, try this out.
SHINE by NIGHT Beauty Boost Satin Pillowcase
This pillowcase is made with 100% Charmeuse Satin to mimic the texture of natural silk. it maintains optimal moisture of your skin to prevent wrinkle formation as well as a smooth surface to avoid friction in your hair. Satin also doesn't require special care or ironing so if you want something you can pop in with the rest of the laundry, this might be a good fit for you.
Skin Laundry Pillowcases
You can literally replenish your skin with this silver ion technology. Their testimonials say it all, “during sleep, your pillowcase absorbs oil, dirt, germs and dead skin cells from your face. This happens every night, only to transfer it back to your skin the next evening. It’s a vicious cycle for blemish-prone skin.” The good news? It works to remove unnecessary oils from your hair too, leaving your skin and hair feeling replenished. Their brand promises to remove 99% of germs and bacteria -- while you sleep!
Top 5 Best-Selling Beauty Pillowcases on Amazon
On the other hand, you don't have to take our word for it. Here are the top selling beauty pillow cases currently on Amazon.
- 【BREATHABLE & HYPOALLERGENIC】 Ravmix silk pillowcases are all made of 100% natural silk, silk fabric has 18 kinds of Amino acids that are believed to effectively stimulate your skin cells' metabolism, silk pillowcase can help your skin maintain its natural moisture, great for anti-aging! Silk's hypoallergenic properties include a natural resistance to dust mites, fungus and mold, in addition to many other allergens, perfect for those with sensitive skin!
- 【ULTRA SOFT & SMOOTH】 Silk's natural fiber and tight weave allow the skin and hair to slide over the pillowcase very gently and freely, it creates less friction between your hair&skin and the silk pillowcase, helps reducing facial wrinkles, preventing dry/ knotted hair and reduce hair loss. Silk pillowcases never conduct static electricity or attract dust mites, it's the most natural anti sleep-crease and anti bed-head product.
- Dermatologists recommend natural silk pillow cases for the cool touch and breathability. Great for preventing wrinkles, dry skin and frizzled hair, and morning bed head.
- Hidden zipper for style, comfort and better fit; Handmade, top-quality workmanship that lasts.
- Friction Free 100% Polyester Satin Charmeuse
- Easy care-machine washable
- QUALITY GUARANTEE & SUPERIOR DESIGN - Beauty of Orient pillow cases are made with the upmost attention to detail. From the raw silk material selection to the superior stitching work, we take pride in every step of this beautiful craft in making your silk pillowcase. Our mulberry silk pillowcases are designed with a same color hidden zippered pillowcase closure, not envelope style, so that your pillow will not slip out and you can sleep on both sides of the pillowcase.
- PREMIUM SILK MATERIAL - Our luxury 19 momme silk pillow cases use only 100% pure highest grade 6A long fiber mulberry silk. You can sleep better knowing the material is free of any harmful dyes or chemicals.
- 100% LUXURY SILK: Beejoya pillowcases are made of 100% pure mulberry silk on both sides. Our Standard/Queen size case measures 20" x 30".
- HEALTHY HAIR & SKIN: Our pillowcases help prevent hair breakage, bed head, sleep creases, facial wrinkles and dry skin.